Thursday, June 29, 2006

Joshua Bell - Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto


I first discovered Joshua Bell when he featured on Josh Groban's album Closer. I was less interested in classical music then but later as I started to discover the world of classical music I started listening more and more to him. I was lucky enough to hear him perform this piece live as he visited Oslo in May, as part of OsloPhil's program.

When you hear, and even more when you see, Joshua Bell play you get instantly carried away - he plays with such passion and intensity. In the liner notes it's mentioned that Tchakovsky's violin concerto has been recorded so many times by so many performers that new artists won't record it. Maybe I'm lucky to be a newcomer in the classical world and not have heard any other recordings before, all I know is this piece gives me goosebumps from beginning to end. Or especially end I should say; I love the dramatic grand finales that bursts of energy. To top it all off, the concerto was recorded live and it lends a certain atmosphere to the recording. The thunderous applause and calls of "bravo!" after the finale makes a great finish.

The CD also includes a Meditation, which, as written in the liner notes, was composed as an alternate middle movement. This was an interesting idea, I think, allowing the listener to hear two versions of the same concert on one CD.

The last track on the CD is Danse Russe from Swan Lake, a piece that's right up my alley since I'm a ballet fan an practiacally grew up listening to Swan Lake and the Nut Cracker. The dance is not included in the Swan Lake Suite, which has been released numerous times along with the ballet suites from Sleeping Beauty and the Nut Cracker - so I didn't know it as well as I know other pieces from that ballet. Which I think it's a good thing.

This CD is a must-have if you ask me.

No comments: