Monday, October 30, 2006

Odd Nordstoga - Heim te mor (full album)

First of all, sorry about neglecting this blog for some time.. I'll do my best to keep up.

Now: Down to the business.
I bought Odd Nordstoga's album the day it was released, my expectations sky-high after great newspaper reviews and overall positive publicity. And he didn't let me down this time either.

The 11 tracks range from traditional American folk to Norwegian folk to pop ballads, all "branded" with Odd's unmistakable personal style. Whereas a lot of reviews tend to focus on his happy, carefree and upbeat songs, I feel the need to look at the singer/songwriter ballad gems that can be found on the album. Such as "Dagane" - written for his wife - where the theme is the genuine and enduring love, and vocally he showcases a soaring falsetto which I personally had never heard before. "Det som varer" and "Vandrevise" are also great ballads that deserve some attention on the album - The up-beat title track is of course undeniably catchy and so is "Femten songar på ei gong", but I think the slower songs display more of his songwriting skills.

As a whole, the album is well worth the money and - you are warned - highly addictive.

No comments: