Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Greatest voices of our time #4: Robin Blaze


I seem to have a thing for counter-tenors – the way their voices sound not quite like a man’s and not quite like a woman’s; something out of this world, they way their singing seems to be coming from a musical instrument rather than a human being. A good example of this is Robin Blaze.
I first heard his voice on the album ”Händel: Great Oratorio Duets” in which he duets with soprano Carolyn Sampson. I had to fight back tears.

His voice literally soars; sort of glides through each piece and making it sound amazingly effortless. Compared to Andreas Scholl, his voice seems less intense, if you will; a little lighter (I’m not that trained in music to know the terminology, I just have to trust my ears).

To hear for yourselves, you can go to Robin’s artist page at hyperion. It contains his biography and a large audio gallery with streaming tracks from all of his recordings. This video clip from youtube is also highly recommended.

No comments: