Wednesday, October 07, 2009

The times they are a-changing

During the last six months I've come to realise that I am in fact getting older.....
I browsed through some of the older posts in this blog and wondered why I'd recommended them because I don't have any interest in their music any longer.

"They" include mostly the whole classical-crossover genre. It started out with a handful of singers and now the term seems to apply to a) any singer with a vibrato voice, b) any pop song with sufficient orchestral sound, c) any aria rearranged as a pop song or d) any pop song rewritten and rearranged as an operatic number. And probably a lot of other categories.

My point is, it takes so little for a pop singer to be considered classical crossover (and vice versa). One Ave Maria and suddenly it's considered classical. Which is another thing that confuses me - as of late it seems they don't bother mentioning the crossover bit - maybe it's too long, or maybe the people in charge actually want the general public to consider this music classical as in the real deal. Which I object strongly to.

It's not that I want the "real" classical music to be exclusively for one group of people, I just don't want the general public to be fooled into thinking that Il Divo is a synonym to opera. Maybe some think they can't listen to opera because it's "only for the posh people", and I feel it's important to emphasize that classical music is for everyone and you don't have to be a stuck-up snob to enjoy it.

I'm a little saddened by talented classical singers out there who are fully capable of recording opera arias but choose instead to go with the crossover flow and do Ave Marias and chestnuts because they think it's more money in it. Which might be true, I don't know, but I don't see why these people don't choose instead to be true to the art.

I don't mean to sound like a snob or like I'm condemning people who listen to this kind of music, but this post serves just as much as an opportunity to show people who I am today and what I like musically instead of hiding behind who I was 5-6 years ago.

No comments: