Friday, July 07, 2006

I can't decide!


I can't decide whether I should like, dislike or be indifferent to this album.
I bought it from allofmp3.com after I'd heard some positive reviews by online friends.
It is, undeniably, pleasant to listen to - a mixture of traditional Irish music and a certain modern twist - but on the other hand the album as a whole seems too sweet for my taste.
Maybe my ears have been spoiled from listening to too many big voices.. cause although the vocalists of Celtic Woman can carry a tune I find myself getting annoyed by their breathy (just like Charlotte Church only her voice is/was remarkably stronger) , thin soprano voices. Which makes this album alarmingly near of falling into the Sissel (Kyrkjebø) category - Too sweet, too gentle, too uncomplicated.

The instrumental tracks are actually the most appealing. One of them was even recorded live which gives a great atmosphere. The only thing is that this one track, along with The Butterfly, seem too much separated from the other 16 (!) songs on the CD - as my iPod started playing this track I thought it'd skipped to another playlist and that it didn't belong on the album.

I think my ears need more time with this album before I'm able to make a verdict..

No comments: