Friday, July 07, 2006

recommendation: Aled Jones


If you happen to live in the UK you probably think I'm joking - I've been told he has a very conservative image and comes across as the sort of artist only your granny would like. Since the peak of his musical career was before his voice broke (and he's 35 now), most of his fans must be adults who remember him from "back then". He's released a lot of albums during his musical career, which he put on hold when his voice broke at 16 - and then made a comeback a few years ago. In addition to singing he also has a career in TV/Radio, and even has his own radio show on BBC Wales.

But now to the reason of my recommendation - THE VOICE.

When I first listened to his voice at amazon.co.uk, as I was browsing the classical section, I thought, "they have to be kidding me. this isn't classical". The light voice with a lack of vibrato didn't match the image I had in my mind of a Bryn Terfel-like operatic tenor. But there was still something that appealed to me. At the time I had just discovered allofmp3.com and I searched for his CDs there just to check and to my astonishment they did have two of his albums - I bought one straight away and the other a couple of weeks later.
If I were to describe his voice I'd say it's very soft and soothing. For some, myself included, it may take some time getting used to, but after that you'll find yourself bewitched by it.

If you have anti-religious views or anything of the sort, you may want to skip to the next post though. Most of Aled's songs, at least the recordings he released as an adult, are hymns or other songs with sacral/religious background. That may be hard to swallow for some but as a Catholic and deeply religious person I find his songs inspiring. Check out his official web site http://www.aledjones.co.uk , and hear samples/buy tracks at http://music.allofmp3.com/mp3/Aled_Jones/group_13636/albref_14/mcatalog.shtml

No comments: