Monday, July 10, 2006

Russell Watson - what not to sing?

(Picture: Russell Watson - looking smart, but what about his voice? Photo by Decca/Simon Fowler)

Russell Watson's voice has always puzzled me and I've never made up my mind as to whether I like him or not. Today I listened to Rolando Villazon's rendition of "Amor Ti Vieta" and compared it to Russell's version. Whereas Rolando's vocals emerge from his mouth like soft velvet, Russell sounds like he's in agony - of course not very pleasant to listen to. He also seems to breathe heavily (and audibly!) through his nose in between lines - a minor detail maybe but as I first noticed it it started to drive me crazy.

And here's the thing. Russell Watson is in possession of at least 4 different voices. When he uses all of those 4 voices on and off during a 4 minute song, it gets annoying. As an example I will use the title track off his latest studio album, "Amore Musica". It starts off beautifully with his soft pop voice. Then as he moves on to the first chorus he adds a bit more volume and suddenly his voice seems more edgy and like it's coming from the back of his throat - before it changes back to the soft pop voice when he is in the MIDDLE of a note. This is where I start to wonder "what voice will you end up using on this song?" As the second chorus apporaches he changes into his opera voice, which to me sounds very strained and with a forced vibrato - really belting out the melodies. The contrast between this loud and strained voice, and his soft pop voice is so huge that it sounds like it's a duet with two singers whose voices don't match.
His 4th voice can be heard on earlier tracks such as his famous "Faith of the heart" - the Star Trek Enterprise theme. It's a raspy pop/rock voice that sounds very mainstream and ordinary, though not unpleasant to listen to.

Why can't he decide which voice to use? Can't he do like most singers and merely adapt his voice to sing different genres, not create a totally different voice for each one? Personally I'd advice him to stay away from the arias for a while - when he so openly admits he does not have the classical training of an opera singer, maybe he shouldn't try so hard to be one. His "first" voice which is so wonderfully soothing to the ear would be sufficient to keep his fan base happy and even increase it.

I know I may seem offensive describing Russell Watson's voice like this (UK classical singer Jon Christos even told me I came down too hard on Josh Groban after I analyzed his voice to pieces..) but it's only my personal opinion and I mean no harm. I'll say to his defence that he does have a talent, though in pop music rather than classical, and seems like a sympathetic, nice guy.

No comments: